Pearson 10M V-Berth Trim
V-Berth Trim Back to Projects
Here are some photos showing how I am insulating and trimming out the sides of the v-berth. The original trim was ceiling strips of teak on a plywood backer that was screwed to fiberglass hat ribs glassed to the hull. There was about 1-1/4" of air space between the 1/4" plywood and the hull. I wanted to insulate this and provide for some air movement in the fashion ceiling strips were more traditionally used. I'm insulating to help keep the space cool or warm and to reduce the potential for condensation on the inside of the hull.

Fist I removed the original plywood with teak strips and peeled the hat ribs from the hull (very easy). Then I cut and fit a 1/2" layer of foam insulation board. I did this in two pieces because I couldn't maneuver a single piece into place because of the geometry. I made some new ribs from 1/2" thick white oak and added small square pieces of white oak onto the ribs. I cut small square holes in the foam board that these squares on the ribs fit into.

I glued the foam to the hull with construction adhesive and then glued the ribs to the hull through the square holes with epoxy. I cut slits in the back of the ribs to make them bend more easily to the shape of the hull. When I glued the ribs in I had some spring poles to press them to the hull until the epoxy set. Then I cut more sections of 1/2" foam board to fit between the ribs for a total of 1" of foam board. That's good for about R5. I glued the foam board inserts to the foam board that was already there.

Over all this goes a layer of white formica. Then the ceiling strips go on and are screwed to the oak ribs with 1/2" standoffs so that air can circulate behind the strips and maybe for some back-lighting.

DHP - July, 2018

V-Berth Rebuild